Friday, July 16, 2010

Thing #7a: A Hearbreaking Reality

I've gotten into the habit of checking my reader every day just like I check my email. Mostly, I just skim and scan; I only click on the things that catch my attention. I love the blogosphere, and I am so glad to have been awakened to all of the amazing voices and wisdom that's out there. This course has made me a temporary visitor of the blogosphere, but I want to become a permanent resident. My hope is to continue blogging on my own and reading the blogs of others long I've accomplished my "23 Things."

A blog entry this week not only caught my attention, but it connected to my own experiences and broke my heart all at the same time:

I have always been a fan of Esme Raji Codell ever since I heard her speak at a TAFE Conference years ago and read her wonderful book Educating Esme. So of course, I was excited to subscribe to her blog The PlanetEsme Plan. This week Esme reviewed some great picture books: Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I Don't) by Barbara Bottner, The Jelly Beans and the Big Book Bonanza by Laura Numeroff, and Lola at the Library by Anna McQuinn. Miss Brooks... is sitting in a box in my office as a part of my Spring book order. I'm waiting for the wax to dry so that I can get in the library and start ripping open those boxes--one of the BEST parts of being a librarian. It's like Christmas every time I get a box of books! I can't wait to read Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I Don't) to my kids at the beginning of the year! These book reviews were all wonderful to read, and this post makes me excited about the fast-approaching school year. But it's what Esme wrote next that woke me up to the sad reality surrounding us.

All of these books are about the magical power of the library on young readers. Of course, school libraries are vital to people of ALL ages, and Esme asks her readers to think about their own memories of school libraries. Esme goes on to write, "School libraries around the country are currently in terrible peril, on the front lines for cuts and downsizing, despite the obvious and well-documented benefits and the renewed need for capable instructional media professionals in the digital age. " I know that school libraries are struggling--believe me--I've lived this reality. But what really hit me this week was the war being waged on our PUBLIC LIBRARIES.

Yesterday, I took my girls to the Mesquite Public Library for the first time this summer. I know, I know--it's mid-July and this was our first trip. Pathetic on my part. Every time I walk into a public library, my heart sings. It blows my mind to see all of the amazing resources that people from all walks of life can access FOR FREE. My girls spent about an hour browsing, reading, working puzzles, and poking at the fish tank. They used their best "whisper voices" and joyfully skipped out of the library with five carefully self-selected books each. It was a happy day.

But here comes the heartbreaking reality. I saw on the news last night that Dallas is cutting 155 jobs in the library department because of budget woes. Even though these cuts do not affect me personally because I'm not a regular patron of Dallas libraries, they still hurt my heart. In fact, I'm sure that if I did some research, I would find out that the Mesquite Public Library has not been immune to cuts. I instantly thought of all of the people (children like my own!) who will be impacted by these cuts. It made me think of Esme's blog and the fact that ALL libraries seem to be under attack because of our present economy. Libraries should be a sacred part of our society, but they are not being treated as such.

It breaks my heart.

2 comments:

  1. What is really sad is that in today's economic recession, public libraries are needed and used even more than they are when the economy is doing well. People need a place to go for free information: job applications, Internet, newspapers, etc. AND they need a place for free entertainment. Why can't the government see that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Marnie. It was really crowded at the library yesterday. I've read several articles in the last year about libraries' circulation and access to services increasing in relation to the economy worsening. It just doesn't make any sense and it infuriates me!

    ReplyDelete