Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #18: Gaga for You Tube

I try to stay away from You Tube for entertainment purposes because it's so addicting and a little disconcerting to see the twisted minds of our humanity. But I think You Tube definitely has a place in the classroom when used carefully and cautiously. When I taught Creative Writing, I used You Tube videos as writing prompts. We watched cartoon theme songs from the early 90s to spur writing about childhood memories. My students LOVED this, and it was a catalyst for some amazing writing. It's the "inane comments"at the bottom of the videos that can get a teacher in trouble, so I was so glad to read the tip about EMBEDDING the video in Thing 18. GENIUS IDEA!

Here I go on another Wicked tangent, but I recently used You Tube to show Landry how Elphaba flies during "Defying Gravity." Before I took Landry to see the performance, I wanted her to watch this so that it wouldn't freak her out. It was a way to build her schema.

Teacher Tube is a good resource but some times it can be a bit lame. However, I did find this great video on taking care of library books. My kids would probably get more out of watching this video than listening to me blab away about it.

And here's my video that I discovered for fun. It's a librarian thing, of course!
Librarians + Gaga = GREATNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment